Thursday, May 13, 2010

Support Your Local Farms in Kitsap County

Growing a bountiful garden has always been one of my dreams. There is nothing tastier or more soul-satisfying than enjoying home grown tomatoes, beans, or zucchini after tending them all summer.

Sadly, I live in a shady area with poor soil. The only thing that grows well is the moss taking over my lawn. If the poor soil or lack of sunlight doesn't get to my plants, the deer will. I have given up on trying to grow anything edible until I move to a better location.

In the mean time, I like to visit the farmers market for local produce. This year I purchased a "subscription" to a local farm. I pay in full ahead of time and once I week I pick up my share of vegetables from the farm. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to the first pickup on June 1st.

If you'd like more information about this program visit Abundantly Green's website. Eating local is good for you, the environment and your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment