Friday, September 4, 2009

Karin Kay Properties Heads to the Black Berry Festival


This time of year is so busy in Kitsap County. First we started with Whaling Days at the end of July. We then had the Kitsap County Fair last month and now we have the Blackberry Festival this weekend in downtown Bremerton.

I for one love blackberries. But this love isn't an easy one to maintain. Picking blackberries is no easy task. Every year it gets harder and harder to find blackberries not contaminated with herbicides or road pollution. Whenever I ask people where they go to pick, they usually give me non-descript answers. No one wants to give up the location of their secret berry batch. I can hardly blame them but since they developed Old Mill Park in Silverdale, I have a hard time finding select berries.

Finding that perfect berry patch is only the beginning of the stuggle for the delicious berries. These bushes are heavily guarded fortresses. Every vine is covered in sharp thorns. You practically have to dance around each vine to avoid getting caught. I pay a high price if I get scratched by the thorns. My skin will swell up and itch for hours.

Luckily I and everyone else at Karin Kay Properties can avoid all this and just purchase blackberries and blackberry products at this years festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment